Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Disnrey Princess Challenge #8: Jasmine

    Once again, I've fallen behind... But like I said in my last post, I probably won't be consistent again for several more weeks, so bear with me!
    This is last week's design, but only by a little; I just repainted my nails yesterday. Jasmine was next in line! While scrolling through Pinterest when I first started "researching" for this challenge (I have to have it all planned out in advance, you know), nearly everyone had the same thing for Jasmine - some variation of her headband/tiara/jeweled-thing and tiger stripes. Which is great and all, but I wanted to do something different. Then I realized that there's not much to draw from with her costume. After digging a bit more I remembered a lady over in deviantArt who made historically accurate Disney princesses. I really liked the bodice design on Jasmine so I made that into my 'different' element.

    Fittingly enough, I dived into a "whole new world" of nail art - 3D nails. For the headdress I used some little sparkly gems. I couldn't find a blue that I liked that was small enough, so I deviated from Disney's design and made it silver instead.

   I used 3mm gems and attached them with nail glue. I also put a topcoat over top it all just to add another layer of protection. My mom and I were running a bet to see how long the gems would last. Neither of us were very optimistic and thought a day, maybe two. I did lose one on the second day, but all the others stayed on for four days! They probably would have stayed on longer except that I had a fidgety spell and picked them all off one night. Oops.

   My base color for the majority of my nails was a new color and a new brand I had never seen before - Studio M Blue Ming. I don't know how the rest of the brand is, but I was very pleased with this color. It wasn't too thin, I only needed two coats. I'd buy more of the brand, except that they have pretty much only super bright colors. Which is great if you're into that, but I'm not.

   The gold band was made with Maybelline Color Show Bold Gold. On my thumb, the darker teal vines were made with a thinned out Flower Good Bud-dy. I made the flowers with a thinned out Finger Paints Paper Mache.

   For Rajah's tiger stripes I used a base of Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Sun Kissed. After studying several different tiger stripe designs and giving myself a good pep talk, I made the stripes with my black Stripe Rote striper. I know animal stripes and patterns are super in and done by so many people, but they just make me nervous! I know it's silly, and this wasn't too hard, but they just always seem so difficult to me!
   So I ended up crossing two new milestones with this design - 3D nails and animal prints!

   As usual, this is available in my shop! You can find it here. No options for this design, although I loved the vine nail so much that I made it into its own set! you can find that set here.

   As I said in the beginning of this post, I've already painted my nails again. Belle is next! She's my favorite princess, so I was super excited for this one to come around. I really, really like how it turned out and can't wait to show you guys! I think she is my favorite design so far.

   I hope you all have a fantastic week!

No comments:

Post a Comment